Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wreath Makeover

     Hello everyone!  I am excited to share with you my latest decorating project.  This idea came to me at the last minute, and only took me a little over an hour to complete.  Time is everything these days :-) 

    Today, I am going to share with you our foyer.  Here is what it looked like this morning before I got cracking on it.....


     As you can see, I still had Christmas decorations up.  I had convinced myself the berries were "Winter" berries, and therefore, could stay up through Valentine's Day.  Ummmm....ok.  Funny, the things we tell ourselves. 

     A change was definitely in order, but I wanted to use items I already had around my home.

     A few weeks ago, I purchased this cute sign from Home Goods.  At the time, I had no specific place in mind for where I would hang it. 


     I also had this wreath, which I purchased last year for spring.


     When I first purchased this wreath I thought it was pretty, but soon realized when I got it home that the purple and fushcia clashed with the rest of my home decor. 

     So....I decided to be daring and cut out all of the dried flowers and replace them with these berries I got from Hobby Lobby.


     I unwrapped one of the berry branches so that there were individual stems to work with.  It looked like this afterwards.



     Next, I got to work on my old wreath and began snipping away...


     What a mess!!!!!


     Once I had a clean palate, I began wrapping the twigs from the berry stems around the wreath.


     I then stuck the berry stems into the wreath.  No glue was needed; I just tucked them in tightly.



     I was happy with how it was turning out, however, it definitely needed something more. A pop of color was in order. 

     Nothing a little bit of cheetah print ribbon could not solve.....

    
     First, I folded the ribbon in even sections, making sure that there was some left over on each end for the tails.  Second, I tied a thin gold string around the center of my folded ribbon.  Third, I seperated the folded sections, bending and moving each piece until I had the desired result I was looking for.  I left the tails untouched to hang loose. 

     I got my glue gun fired up and placed the ribbon into a bare spot on the wreath.  Here is the final result......


     Now it was time to hang it up in the foyer, along with the sign from Home Goods. 

     Here is what I came up with...




     I love how it came out and even more thrilled that I used items I already had in the house.  I think it was a much needed change.

8 comments:

  1. Cute makeover! Great job shopping around the house. XOXO, Clydia {threemangoseeds.blogspot.com} Following you via LINKY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback Clydia! I checked out your bog and think it is fabulous! I am a new follower. :)

      Delete
  2. Love your foyer! Your wreath turned out great...love that leopard ribbon too! And to think you have everything on hand :o)
    ~Des

    PS. I am now following you on Google...hope you
    will follow me back :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! I saw your blog and love your work. I am a follower! ;)

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about trying to pretend the Christmas berries were winter berries. Done that!! :)
    Don't you love re-working things you have and getting a great new look? I really like the addition of the new sign above the mirror,too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your wreath redo! I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you pulled out that ribbon I was all "Oh nooooooo" but then - I was all "Hey, that's pretty!"

    Good job! And kudos to you for cutting out the parts you didn't like. It looks a thousand times better your way.

    P.S. I will give you a cookie if you remove the captcha for comments on your blog. (You'll probably get way more comments, too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous makeover! I love the wreath!

    ReplyDelete