Sunday, January 29, 2012

In Honor of National Pie Day: "Pocket-Pies"

     This past Monday was National Pie Day.  Yes, there is an official day for pies.  Who knew?  For anyone interested, you can get more information at the American Pie Council's website here.  Did you know there was an American Pie Council? Me either....

     Anyone who knows me well, knows I love pie.  In fact it is a religion in my family.  So when I realized there was an actual day in honor of this tasty treat, I thought I must make a pie, even if I was a week late.  You may be wondering what this has to do with decorating.  Well decorating can come in all forms, including dessert!  It is all about the presentation. 

     So, I thought I would share with you my fun little gadget from Williams-Sonoma that makes mini pies.  This takes pie making to the next level.

     It's called the "Pocket-Pie Mold" and they come in several different shapes.  I think right now they are selling the apple pie shape but they switch the styles often.  Don't these look delicious?  Of course Williams-Sonoma's pies are absolutely perfect!

Apple Pocket Pie Mold
     I have a heart shape mold and thought it would be a great time to use it with Valentine's Day on the horizon. 


     First, you will need to make your own pie crust.  If you are short on time you can purchase pre-made pie crusts from the grocery store.  Although, I must say homemade crust is soooooo much better!


    I decided to make strawberry pies because the filling is pretty simple.  You can easily substitute any fruit pie filling you enjoy. 

     The directions on how to make the pies are on the back of the "Pocket-Pie Mold" box and very self explanatory.  The basic idea is as follows: you will use the mold to make cut outs in your dough.; then place the solid cut out in one side of the pocket pie; place one or two tablespoons of your fruit filling in the pie crust; brush your edges with egg wash;  then lay the cutout with the small heart cut out on top; last, bring the other side of the pocket pie over and press to seal you pie.




    Place these little pretties on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake them in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. 

     Yummmmmmm.............


     Obviously, my pies are not as perfect as the ones displayed in the Williams-Sonoma photo above, but I think they still look pretty yummy. 

     These pies would make great gifts. Just pop each one in a cellophane bag, add some cute ribbon, and you got a tasty homemade Valentine! 

     So in honor of National Pie Day, I challenge you to tackle a pie recipe.  Find a fun gadget like the "Pocket-Pie Mold" to add that extra special touch.  Happy pie making!!!! 

                                                                                                                     -Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment